Surrounded By Sharks! Let’s Go Swim!
Every time someone says anything is the “best in the world” I am immediately skeptical. But I can’t tell you how many articles and scuba sites I’ve seen that list Fakarava as the best diving in the world.
Sailing up to the pass, it looked like just another atoll in the Tuamotus. A skinny, low lying strip of land hugged by shades of blue. Beautiful, but nothing all that different from the atolls we’ve just come from.
But it didn’t take long to see just how different this atoll is.
We haven’t been to every country in the world, much less explored all the world’s oceans (but it’s on our list). So, we can’t say it’s the best in the world. But, spoiler alert…it is THE BEST DIVING we have ever experienced!
Fakarava is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and WOW, what a difference. We have never seen so much life concentrated into one area. It’s truly a magical world down there.
Grab a beverage and settle in for a little sailing, a little land exploration and a whole lot of our favorite underwater playground in all of French Polynesia.
I don’t want to keep gushing but this really is the stuff sailing dreams are made of. A beautiful anchorage, sandy beaches, clear water and fish by the thousands. Throw in high speed internet and we may have never left.
Stay tuned because next time we wait for the sun to go down before diving in. And oh baby do we see some sharks…sharks by the hundreds!
🙏 MADE POSSIBLE BY YOU!
Ups, downs and all arounds, we share them all. If you like what you see, there are lots of FREE ways you can show your support. Thank you for being a part of the journey!
GEAR USED IN THIS VIDEO
FREEDIVING & SCUBA
- All Dive Gear Info & Reviews Here: gonewiththewynns.com/diving-from-sailboat
🎥 CAMERA GEAR USED IN THIS VIDEO 📷
- Sony rx10: https://amzn.to/2QAHxwx
- Sony rx0ii: gonewiththewynns.com/product/tiny-travel-camera
- Go Pro Hero: https://amzn.to/2FsF7cx
- Sony rx100 With Underwater Housing: gonewiththewynns.com/product/productsony-dsc-rx100m-iii-cyber-shot-digital-still-camera
- Virb: gonewiththewynns.com/product/virb
- Drone: https://amzn.to/2VQ2pzi
⛵SAILING SPECIFIC GEAR
- Chartplotter: https://amzn.to/2xHqxsV
- Garmin InReach: gonewiththewynns.com/product/inreach-satellite-communication-and-tracking
- iPad Mount at Helm: https://amzn.to/2RWRz95
- Sailing/Navigation Apps:
- Weather, Messaging & Email: gonewiththewynns.com/product/iridium-go-predictwind
- Our Anchor: gonewiththewynns.com/product/mantus-anchor
🚣 Dinghy & Accessories
- Dinghy: Highfield CL340 / With Yamaha F25 (love our setup!)
- Magnetic Tricolor Light For Night: gonewiththewynns.com/product/lights-torches
- Cool Underwater Light: navisafe.com/project/navilight-glowtube-114/
- Dinghy Anchor: gonewiththewynns.com/product/mantus-anchor
- Source: http://bit.ly/artlist-gwtw
- Artists: Giants and Pilgrims, John Isaac, Borrtex, Michael Shynes and Oliver Michael
⛵ SAILING REPORT
To see our full map with interactive pins, click here: gonewiththewynns.com/map
- Sailing Route: Rangiroa to Fakarava – Tuamotu, French Polynesia
- Nautical Miles Sailed: 140
- Date: March 2019