Meet Sailing Vessel Curiosity. She is our self-sufficient floating home, base camp and transportation about the world. She is the only home or major possession we own. We chose our vessel and name carefully. It’s not too long, not difficult to say, clear to understand and most importantly it describes the driving force behind our lust for travel and adventure.
Curiosity (from Latin curiosus “careful, diligent, curious,” akin to cura “care”) is a quality related to inquisitive thinking such as exploration, investigation, and learning, evident by observation in human and animal species. Curiosity is heavily associated with all aspects of human development, in which derives the process of learning and desire to acquire knowledge and skill.
The term “curiosity” can also be used to denote the behavior or emotion of being curious, in regards to the desire to gain knowledge or information. Curiosity as a behavior and emotion is attributed over millennium as the driving force behind not only human development, but developments in science, language, and industry.
Want the full, in depth and personal tour of our Curiosity? Then settle in and hit the play button below! Looking for just the quick specs, then you’ll see those below.
We purchased Curiosity April 21, 2016. At the time, we didn’t know how to sail but we had Kent (an excellent broker with loads of sailing experience), several sailing classes lined up and thankfully enough determination to make up for the lack of experience. We documented the full shopping and buying experience, complete with costs. Just click the sailboat shopping tab: gonewiththewynns.com/sailing
Now, at this point you may be wondering like so many do, “how on earth do you afford this?”. We’re not millionaires, we didn’t inherit any money and we didn’t win the lottery. We worked hard, we still work hard and we’ve shared the full scoop on all that here: gonewiththewynns.com/travel-money-wynns
It’s All In The Details
S/V Curiosity is a 2005 Robertson and Caine Leopard 43 Sailing Catamaran, built in South Africa. She is a three Cabin, owner’s version (owner’s version means it’s the 3 cabin, 3 head, not the 4 cabin 4 head charter version).
- Length – 42 ft 6 in
- Beam – 22’ 9”
- Draft – 4’
- Height – 63’
- Sails – Main Sail, Genoa & Asymmetrical Spinnaker
- Fresh Water – 210 gal
- Fuel Capacity – 95 gal
- 2 Inboard Diesel Engines – Yanmar 3JH4E 39 Horsepower
- Anchor, Chain, Bridal and Anchor Accessories: gonewiththewynns.com/product/mantus-anchor
We’ve done a fair number of upgrades and modifications and of course there is always more to be done (click the mods & maintenance tab to see those posts: gonewiththewynns.com/sailing). So far, we’ve either done the work ourselves or hired Just Catamarans for anything beyond our ability. Maintaining the boat is practically a full time job itself but as they say, cruising is doing maintenance in exotic locations.
Electricity, off the grid
- Solar Arch / Dinghy Davits – gonewiththewynns.com/product/sailboat-electricity
- 1200 Watts of Solar – gonewiththewynns.com/product/sailboat-electricity
- Relion lithium batteries – gonewiththewynns.com/product/lithium-batteries
- Inverter – gonewiththewynns.com/product/sailboat-electricity
- Charge controller – gonewiththewynns.com/product/sailboat-electricity
- Generator – Northern lights 6kw – gonewiththewynns.com/product/sailboat-electricity
- Swaped all lights for LED Lights – gonewiththewynns.com/product/m4-led-lights
- 2 AC’s – 15,000 BTU, Added a Soft Start on both (to make running off our lithium batteries possible, more info here: gonewiththewynns.com/product/air-conditioning-off-grid)
- Cruise RO Watermaker: gonewiththewynns.com/product/watermaker
- Washer/Dryer Combo: gonewiththewynns.com/product/westland-wdc7100xc-sales-energy-star-ventless-combo-washerdryer-with-auto-dry-cycle
- Cushions & Pillows: gonewiththewynns.com/diy-cockpit-sailboat-makeover
- Portable Freezer: gonewiththewynns.com/product/dometic-portable-electric-fridgefreezer
- Ipad Pro Using Garmin Bluecharts & Active Captain App: http://amzn.to/2d9Oopf
- Ram Mount for Ipad: http://amzn.to/2fT84PG
- Portable Floating VHF Radio: http://amzn.to/2hwEoK7
Galley & Salon
- Fave kitchen gadgets (click kitchen faves tab): gonewiththewynns.com/store
- Recipes Here: gonewiththewynns.com/category/recipes
- Water Saving Aerators & Water Pumps: gonewiththewynns.com/product/water-saving-accessories
- Coffee & Tea Set Up: gonewiththewynns.com/product/coffee-tea
- Lithium Powered Vacuum: http://amzn.to/2khkXYX
Cabins / Heads
- Composting Toilets: gonewiththewynns.com/product/productnatures-head-self-contained-composting-toilet-with-close-quarters-spider-handle-design
- Marine Head and Comoderizer: gonewiththewynns.com/product/marine-heads-accessories
- Water Saving Aerators & Shower Head: gonewiththewynns.com/product/water-saving-accessories
- Upgraded Mattress & Moisture Barrier Pad (the thing under the mattress to prevent mold): gonewiththewynns.com/product/custom-mattress
- We Boost Cell and Data Booster: gonewiththewynns.com/product/weboost-4g-booster-kit
- Iridium Go & Predict Wind: bit.ly
- Wifi Ranger: gonewiththewynns.com/product/wifi-booster-pack
When we purchased our sailboat, it reluctantly came with a beastly center console dinghy that was way too heavy for the boat. We sold that dinghy and went in search of the perfect cruising dinghy. We ended up with a Highfield and you can see the full story and specs here: gonewiththewynns.com/dinghy-swap-ab-highfield
- Liferaft: Viking 8 person (ours is expired and needs to be recertified…but we are thinking of replacing with a newer version)
- LIFETAG: Raymarine with 4 wristbands (our whole Raymarine system is slowly failing so we don’t fully trust these devices and looking into replacements).
Additional Sailboat Life Toys & Accessories
- Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board: gonewiththewynns.com/product/fisher-boards-blowfish
- Folding Bikes & accessories: gonewiththewynns.com/product/bicycles
- Folding Chairs For Lounging On Deck: http://amzn.to/2jkgbL2
- Provisioning Gear: gonewiththewynns.com/product/thermal-totes-cooler-packs
- Snorkle/Dive Gear
- Hammerhead Free-Dive Mask With Camera Mount http://amzn.to/2d5C6SB
- Hammerhead Free-Dive J Snorkel: http://amzn.to/2cjh3dV
- Jason’s Omer Freediving Fins: http://amzn.to/2kIhljK
- Nikki’s Sporasub Freediving Fins: http://amzn.to/2kIYmlf
- Wet Suits – We’ve had our Henderson dive suits for over 8 years and they’re still holding up well: http://amzn.to/2kIm2tW
- Hawaiian Sling Spear: http://amzn.to/2hIBfHb
More to Come
We’ll be working on Curiosity, testing new products and upgrading features on a regular basis. When something worthy of sharing comes along, we’ll update the details and list them here.