The Magic Carpet Ride – Sailing Taha’a
Nobody ever truly knows what the day ahead holds for them. So, it’s silly to go about life any other way than wide eyed and ready for anything.
Add a new destination and a sailboat into the mix and it’s a surprise pie to be served up one slice at time. Today was one of those days filled with surprises, served up one by one.
It all starts with a beautiful sail to the tiny island of Taha’a and ends with filling water buckets in a dark alley behind a gas station. And that’s not even the exciting bits!
Most days we grumble on about how much longer everything takes when living on a boat. But, this day blows that whole argument out of the water.
We sailed to a new island, toured a rum factory, picked up groceries, took a few rides on the magic carpet through the coral gardens, had a date night dinner out and managed to fill our water buckets.
And, only one small thing broke on the boat (note to self: replace trampoline lines). T’was a damned fine day I say, damned fine.
The Magic Carpet Ride
It seems almost every island has an area dubbed the Coral Garden. But, this one has certainly earned the name! I would go so far as to say it’s my favorite snorkeling spot so far in French Polynesia.
Look for Le Taha’a Island Resort & Spa on the map or the three motu’s across from Baie Tapuamu on your sailing charts. While it’s good fun anytime, high tide is best because some of the areas are super shallow.
Pro tip: bring your water shoes or scuba booties for the walk back to the entrance.
Taha’a Fun Facts
- Lovely speck of rock located in the Society Islands Archipelago.
- 33 square miles funded by tourism, pearl farming, fishing and vanilla plantations (and now rum).
- Taha’a is home to around 5,000 people.
- Neighboring Raiatea and Taha’a are enclosed by the same coral reef and are speculated to have been one island…way, way, way back in the day.
🙏 THANK YOU!
Sharing our lives and what we learn along the way is possible because of viewers like you. If you like what you see, there are lots of FREE ways you can show your support. Thank you for being a part of the journey.
RESOURCES & GEAR IN THIS VIDEO
🎥 OUR CAMERA GEAR 📷
- Sony rx10: https://amzn.to/2QAHxwx
- Sony rx100: gonewiththewynns.com/product/productsony-dsc-rx100m-iii-cyber-shot-digital-still-camera
- Drone: https://amzn.to/2VQ2pzi
🌊SNORKLE / FREEDIVE GEAR
- Source: http://bit.ly/artlist-gwtw
- Artists: Giants and Pilgrims (Intro Music)
- Main Music: Dyalla
To see our full map with interactive pins, click here: gonewiththewynns.com/map
Bora Bora to Taha’a, French Polynesia
- Nautical Miles Sailed: 27.8
- Anchorage/Mooring: Baie Tapuamu
- Date: December 2018