Biggest Waves Ever!!! 4 Days Living At Sea
It has been said a thousand times and it shall be said a thousand more, a life at sea is full of extremes. This four-day passage was no exception.
We thought we knew a thing or two about sacrificing civilization for freedom, but Palmerston takes a life at sea to a whole new level. Living on a remote island far away from civilization, no matter how good the internet is, requires determination and a unique frame of mind.
It’s one thing to live on a boat and sail about the world. We spend a lot of our time isolated and far away too, but our floating island can make its way to civilization.
And speaking of making our way to civilization, our time in the Cook Islands is up. Time to get this ol’ boat moving again. Next stop is the world’s smallest independent nation of Niue. Approximately 400 nautical miles away.
True to the nature of sailing, it’s a passage that goes from heavenly to heavy.
Oh how heavenly it all started. Beautiful downwind sunset sailing, fresh yellowfin tuna…what more could any seafaring traveler want!?!
And how quickly it all changes.
One day we’re going to learn how to capture the magnitude of the swell and waves. Because while these might not have been the behemoth waves that make one fear for their life, they were enough to send our 60 pound freezer flying from out of its holster from port to starboard. It’s an absolute shame we didn’t capture THAT on camera. And a miracle it didn’t put a huge hole in our cockpit!
🙏 Thank YOU!
We keep creating and sharing because of you. Each time you read, watch, comment, share, shop our gear store or put tips in our production jar you make this all possible. If you like what you see, click here to learn how you can show your support. Thank you for being a part of the journey!
🎥 CAMERA GEAR USED IN THIS VIDEO 📷
- Sony rx10: https://amzn.to/2QAHxwx
- Sony rx100: gonewiththewynns.com/product/productsony-dsc-rx100m-iii-cyber-shot-digital-still-camera
- Sony rx0ii: gonewiththewynns.com/product/tiny-travel-camera
HOW WE POWER OUR HOME: LITHIUM BATTERIES, SOLAR, WATER & MORE…
- All Things Off Grid: gonewiththewynns.com/living-off-grid-rv-sailboat
⛵SAILING SPECIFIC GEAR
- Chartplotter: https://amzn.to/2xHqxsV
- Garmin InReach: gonewiththewynns.com/product/inreach-satellite-communication-and-tracking
- iPad Mount at Helm: https://amzn.to/2RWRz95
- Sailing/Navigation Apps:
- Weather, Messaging & Email: gonewiththewynns.com/product/iridium-go-predictwind
- Source: http://bit.ly/artlist-gwtw
- Artists – Giants & Pilgrims (intro), Michael Shynes, Tristan Barton, and Tomer Katz
⛵ SAILING REPORT
To see our full map with interactive pins, click here: gonewiththewynns.com/map
- Nautical Miles Sailed: 415
- Date: July 2019