What We Eat When There’s No Fresh Food
We’re sailing one of the most remote archipelagos in the world and we’re down to a couple of bendy carrots along with a few cloves of garlic. I knew we were going to run out of fresh foods eventually…and today is that day.
The Tuamotus are tiny, remote rings sitting just above sea level. Not much grows on these atolls and supply ships are infrequent…as are the fresh foods. So, the mantra is: If you want something good to eat, ya best bring it with you.
Food storage is fun challenge for us at the moment. Our fridge died on us and we’re down to a small 12v cooler. It gets the job done but it holds no more than a week’s worth of food (and you can forget about keeping the beers cold!). But that’s ok. I’ve prepared for this!
I have a collection of go-to meals that require no fresh foods at all, but they’re still delightful (according to us). And each week we get more than a few dozen requests for recipes, so I hope this one tickles your taste buds.
Join us as we sail to Fakarava. I whip up some grub while mother nature whips up a storm!
I could have watched that sunrise forever. It’s one of my favorite things about being at sea. I look forward to each sunrise and sunset, especially after crazy weather. There’s just something about the 360 views of watching the sky light up with color, it’s simply spectacular.
Speaking of things less spectacular…but still good…what did you think of the cooking “show”. Ha, I am no Julia Child. We get sooo many requests for recipes that I am very curious to hear your feedback. Would you like us to share more from in the galley? Was it fun, but not something you’d tune-in for? Would you rather just have a cook book full of my fave recipes? Let me know in the comments.
Stay tuned! Fakarava is on the horizon and spoiler alert, it’s home to a few hundred sharks!
Sea Salted Hummus
So we didn’t gather sea salt off the deck…but we totally could in a pinch. I went for a classic lemon/garlic hummus but you can toss in just about anything you think sounds good. Roasted red peppers, jalapeno-cilantro (Jason’s Fav), smoked paprika…you get the idea.
- 1.5 cups of garbanzo beans (15 oz can)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (Fresh or shelf stable juice)
- 1 or more garlic cloves (or add dried garlic as you cook your dried beans)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (if you can’t find some where you are, just omit it)
- ¾ tsp. or more of sea salt
Food Processor – gonewiththewynns.com/product/ninja-master-prep
Put the chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, tahini, and garlic into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste, add salt to taste and puree until very smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a touch of water until the desired consistency is reached.
Sun-dried Tomato, Artichoke & Mushroom Pearl Pasta
- 1 cup Dried Mushrooms – https://amzn.to/2Nzfknw
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar – https://amzn.to/31WPL3Z
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 cups Pearl Pasta – https://amzn.to/2HnPQ8P
- 3/4 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes – https://amzn.to/2Nplzuh
- 1 cup Marinated Artichokes – https://amzn.to/325AnCx
- 1 jar of Basil Pesto – https://amzn.to/31Yfs41
- Pot – gonewiththewynns.com/product/pressure-cooker
- Induction Cook Top – gonewiththewynns.com/product/induction-burner
- Kitchen Knife – gonewiththewynns.com/product/knives-sharpener
- Bamboo Cutting Board – https://amzn.to/2L9wYf1
Soak mushrooms in balsamic vinegar and water to cover. Chop garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes and (once hydrated) mushrooms. Cook the pearl pasta, strain and set aside. Sauté mushrooms and garlic in olive oil for about 3-5 min on medium heat (power setting 3 on induction cook top). Mix pasta and pesto together. Mix mushrooms, garlic, sun dried tomatoes and artichokes. Garnish with salt, pepper, and red chili flakes if you want some heat. It’s also nice with a fresh squeeze of lemon.
🍳Fave kitchen Gadgets
- Gear Store – gonewiththewynns.com/store
🎥 CAMERA GEAR USED IN THIS VIDEO 📷
- Sony rx10: https://amzn.to/2QAHxwx
- Sony rx0ii: gonewiththewynns.com/product/tiny-travel-camera
- Virb: gonewiththewynns.com/product/virb
⛵SAILING SPECIFIC GEAR
- Chartplotter: https://amzn.to/2xHqxsV
- Garmin InReach: gonewiththewynns.com/product/inreach-satellite-communication-and-tracking
- iPad Mount at Helm: https://amzn.to/2RWRz95
- Sailing/Navigation Apps:
- Weather, Messaging & Email: gonewiththewynns.com/product/iridium-go-predictwind
- Source: http://bit.ly/artlist-gwtw
- Artists: Giants & Pilgrims (intro), Befun, and Anthony Lazaro
⛵ SAILING REPORT
To see our full map with interactive pins, click here: gonewiththewynns.com/map
- Nautical Miles Sailed: 140
- Date: March 2019
🙏 THANK YOU!
Sharing this lifestyle and what we learn along the way is possible because of viewers like you. If you like what you see, there are lots of FREE ways you can show your support. Thank you for being a part of the journey.