This Is Why We Live On A SailBoat!
Living on the ocean sounds romantic, but that isn’t what motivated us to move aboard a sailboat. Sailing for us is about exploring the far flung reaches of the world and discovering places we don’t yet know exist.
Tikehau is one of those places!
We didn’t know what an atoll really was, much less where one was just a couple of years ago. Now, we’re exploring one of the most notorious stretches of atolls in the world. The Tuamotu Archipelago! To say we’re stoked would be an understatement.
Skinny landscapes like I have never seen, manta rays a swimming, schools of fish abound, and sunscape’s that could subdue any soul. From our salty lenses to your screen, here’s a tiny slice of what we have seen.
It’s a strange sense of satisfaction to make it to a part of the world I have dreamed most of my life…but didn’t know was real. That is what the Tuamotu atolls are. A dream world, hiding out just above the waterline in the South Pacific.
Should you find yourself in this part of the world, it’s good to know there’s not much going on. Most of the motu’s (tiny islets) are uninhabited, and other than a dive boat from the private hotel you might not see another soul.
There is a sleepy little town called Tuherahera which is where we anchored the first few nights. Our cell phones spat out “EDGE” connectivity too slow for even a single email.
There was one small, family run resort that was willing to let us come ashore. They had cold beer and working WiFi (albeit slow). It’s called the Royal Tikehau. The owners were welcoming and even opened the bar a little early for us so we could upload some photos to Instagram. But we came here to disconnect & dive so wifi wasn’t a priority.
As for disconnecting and diving, this is one of the best spots we’ve ever sailed too. Tikehau, we’re sad to leave you…but the dolphins in the next atoll are calling.
Manta Manta, Don’t-cha Wanna Save The Mantas
The Manta Rays were a big draw for us. They are magical creatures and we’ll gladly sail a few hundred miles to have private hang out sessions.
Sadly, the locals say the manta numbers have been dwindling. Choosing sustainably caught seafood can make a big difference.
“Our oceans are now in a state of global crisis, brought about by ocean warming, acidification, pollution, habitat destruction and overfishing – the single biggest threat to ocean life. Today nearly 90% of the world’s marine stocks are fully exploited, overexploited or depleted.” -Mantatrust.org
There are lots of organizations out there doing their best to spread awareness and education about our oceans. Their websites are chock full of info and it’s where we go to learn about ways we can do our part. 5Gyres, Oceana and Manta Trust are just a few.
But, we are talking about Mantas…so here are five tips to eat more sustainably and help save Mantas: https://www.mantatrust.org/eat-sustainably
🙏 THANK YOU!
Sharing this lifestyle and what we learn along the way is possible because of viewers like you. If you like what you see, there are lots of FREE ways you can show your support. Thank you for being a part of the journey.
🎥 CAMERA GEAR USED IN THIS VIDEO 📷
- Sony rx10: https://amzn.to/2QAHxwx
- Sony rx0ii: gonewiththewynns.com/product/tiny-travel-camera
- Sony rx100 (with underwater housing): gonewiththewynns.com/product/productsony-dsc-rx100m-iii-cyber-shot-digital-still-camera
- Go Pro Hero7: https://amzn.to/2FsF7cx
- Drone: https://amzn.to/2VQ2pzi
- Source: http://bit.ly/artlist-gwtw
- Artists: Ian Post, Giants & Pilgrims (Intro Music) & Boheme
⛵SAILING SPECIFIC GEAR
- Chartplotter: https://amzn.to/2xHqxsV
- Garmin InReach: gonewiththewynns.com/product/inreach-satellite-communication-and-tracking
- iPad Mount at Helm: https://amzn.to/2RWRz95
- Sailing/Navigation Apps:
- iNavx: http://bit.ly/2vGgC51
- Active Captain: http://bit.ly/active_captain
- Weather, Messaging & Email: gonewiththewynns.com/product/iridium-go-predictwind
🚣 Dinghy & Accessories
- Dinghy: Highfield CL340 / With Yamaha F25 (love our setup!)
- Magnetic Tricolor Light For Night: gonewiththewynns.com/product/lights-torches
- Cool Underwater Light: navisafe.com/project/navilight-glowtube-114/
- Dinghy Anchor: gonewiththewynns.com/product/mantus-anchor
⛵ SAILING REPORT
To see our full map with interactive pins, click here: gonewiththewynns.com/map
Date: March 2019