A Sense of Wonder – The Sea, Sailing & Saying Goodbye
There are very few experiences that can top a good day of being on and in the sea. It’s the stuff novels and movies are made of. Scenes I never dreamed would be my reality.
Sail into any port here in French Polynesia and I dare you not to pinch yourself. I have said it before and it’s worth repeating: the landscapes alone are worth crossing an ocean to see.
So, you can imagine that dropping the hook in such a striking place, and then slipping into the ocean is like entering another world. It sparks a sense of wonder that is highly addictive.
It’s our last few days with mom on board and I think it’s safe to say, she is hooked.
Also, consider this your fair warning, we can’t be held responsible for any wanderlust sparked after hitting the play button. Because these are the dreamy days that keep us going when we’re up to our elbows in boat work or parked in front of our laptops for 12 hours straight.
I don’t know what that was like for you, but every time I watch I am a bundle of sentimental feelings. It tugs on my heartstrings and creates a longing to replicate the experience with every family member I have…and then some.
I want to bottle up the day she arrived, when the first whale breached, to being eaten by mosquitoes in a Jurassic world, all the way to the last sherbet colored sunset. I want to bottle it up and pass it around like it’s free moonshine at Burning Man.
Because days like these are food for the soul. These are the moments and the memories that make the hard work, sacrifices and dollars spent, worth it.
So, tomorrow when we are elbow deep in editing, cracked fiberglass, rusty bolts, delaminating windows, leaky hatches, moldy ceilings and a dead refrigerator. We’ll have these moments playing on repeat, reminding us what we’re working towards.
What about Nikki’s Family?
That is the question we’ve received ever since Mary arrived. So, for those who don’t know…here is the short story:
I haven’t seen my mother since I was three. I don’t know much about her other than she struggled with drugs and was a magnet for trouble.
My father was a wild child as well, but I had a rock-solid grandmother who raised me and is responsible for the person I am today. Her name was Loydas and she passed away many years ago (but is with me every day). I have a sister, Brooke, who is ten years younger than I am. She is working hard to grow her photography business and is a single mom. So, escaping to visit us is not really in her budget (time-wise or monetarily). Thank goodness for facetime and whatsapp!
I am close with my extended family but haven’t been able to convince any of them to visit us yet (you know how it goes, short on time and money). We did join my aunt and uncle for this fun adventure though: gonewiththewynns.com/halloween-hackin
Other FAMILY ADVENTURES
Jason’s family is an adventurous bunch and we’ve created a lot of memories together over the years. Here are some worth checking out:
- Sailing With The Family – Good and Bad: gonewiththewynns.com/sweet-salty-sailing-with-family
- Ice Climbing A Glacier: gonewiththewynns.com/ice-climbing-alaska-tragic-mistake
- Alaska Fishing, Glaciers & Whales: gonewiththewynns.com/seward-alaska-fishing-glaciers-whales
- Whitewater Rafting & Wild Camping: gonewiththewynns.com/hope-alaska-whitewater-wild-camping
Sharing this unsedentary lifestyle and what we learn along the way is possible because of viewers like you. If you like what you see, there are lots of FREE ways you can show your support. Thank you for being a part of the journey.
RESOURCES & GEAR IN THIS VIDEO
Sailing Specific Gear
- Chartplotter: https://amzn.to/2xHqxsV
- Garmin InReach: gonewiththewynns.com/product/inreach-satellite-communication-and-tracking
- iPad Mount at Helm: https://amzn.to/2RWRz95 Using iPad Pro: http://amzn.to/2d9Oopf
- Sailing/Navigation/Weather Apps:
- Weather, Messaging & Email: gonewiththewynns.com/product/iridium-go-predictwind
Internet On A Sailboat
- Sony rx10: https://amzn.to/2QAHxwx
- Underwater Housing / Sony rx100: gonewiththewynns.com/product/productsony-dsc-rx100m-iii-cyber-shot-digital-still-camera
- Go Pro: https://amzn.to/2ALaz3d
- Virb (camera with sailing stats): gonewiththewynns.com/product/virb
- Drone: https://amzn.to/2VQ2pzi
Freediving / Snorkeling Gear
- Freedive Mask With Camera Mount http://amzn.to/2d5C6SB
- Freedive Snorkel: http://amzn.to/2cjh3dV
- Freediving Fins: http://amzn.to/2kIYmlf
Music for vids
- Source: http://bit.ly/artlist-gwtw
- Artists Used In This Video: Giants and Pilgrims / Oliver Michael / Ziv Moran / Phototaxis / Muted
To see our full map with interactive pins, click here: gonewiththewynns.com/map
- Dates: August 9 – 11, 2018
- Nautical Miles Sailed: 14 Moorea to Tahiti
- Anchorage: Marina Taina,Tahiti, French Polynesia